Thursday, June 1, 2017

It Just Takes Time


This week, I’ve had many people ask about my experience living in the South Pacific for the last two years.  I most likely responded with a few words:

“Amazing,” “Powerful,” “Life-changing.”  “Tough, but rewarding.”  All of these words and statements are true. 

And then comes the next sentence.  The time when the person expects me to expand on the first sentence.  Why was it influential?  Difficult?  Rewarding even though stressful?  My response, the next sentence, is incredibly hard to formulate.  How can I truly summarize the immense joys and hurts of the last two years into a few sentences? 

I could start to talk about the amazing things I’ve experienced:
            -Teaching students to record 21 worship songs in a local recording studio
            -Traveling to 6 different countries in Asia/Australia
            -Leading student trips for teaching and service, as well as a worship conference and                                    a Model UN conference
            -Seeing a worship program grow immensely at my school
            -Meeting people and forming friendships from all over the world
            -Influencing the lives of amazing students from grades K-12
            -Growing much deeper in my personal relationship with God
            -Sharing the Good News in a second language, and having people understand
            -Understanding God’s call on my life in a powerful way
            -And so many more!

But I would be missing a piece of my story if I didn’t include the difficult times.  After all, no experience is only positive or only negative.  I would need to share these harder situations too:
            -Seeing a community of like-minded Christian workers struggle to be a community
            -Struggling to pick up extra responsibilities as teachers leave school
            -Missing home for key life events (sister’s college graduation, Grandma’s 80th                                                birthday party, a funeral of my student teaching mentor)
            -Loosing trust in the leadership placed in front of me
            -Watching close friends move away
            -Battling weariness and apathy in myself, other teachers, and students
            -Feeling lonely and stressed by cultural differences
            -And so many more!

And as I consider all of these experiences, I realize it is impossible to synthesize all of these life events into a few sentences.  I want to share the positive things, because there were so many, while also painting a realistic picture of the difficulties that abound on this field.  Serving in a different country has made me feel some of the greatest joy and deepest sorrow I have ever experienced. 

So if you truly want to know how this experience has influenced me, I am happy to talk.  I would love to share how I have changed and matured and how God has continued to write His story through my life over the last two years.  I would encourage you to think about how you can influence others with His love.  I would share the pictures of the people and places I’ve experienced.  I would ask you to pray for the rebuilding that my community will go through in the upcoming years.  There is so much to talk about. 

But there is no way to talk about it in only a few sentences.  Maybe after the wounds heal and the experience becomes a distant memory, I will have a greater understanding and have a few sentence summary. 

For now, I ask you to give me time.  Time to process.  Time to heal.  Time to grow.  And time to talk, to share, and to confide in you. 

Just know that this all takes time.  A few sentence conversation will never be enough to share all that God has brought me through these last two years. 


That being said, if you have an hour of time to spare, at any stop throughout my journey of the next few months, it would be a joy to sit down and share my life from the last two years with you.  It has truly been a life-changing experience, and I am thankful for all of the situations that have formed me to who I am today.   Just know that I have a lot of talking to do.    


And if my second sentence doesn’t come right away, I promise I will eventually have a second sentence. 


It just takes time. 


Luke Forshey
June 1, 2017

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said, Luke. Following God's call is never easy, but living in his will is always worth whatever it costs as he reveals himself to us in new ways. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete