Saturday, October 22, 2016

Live Above Reproach


Live Above Reproach

I don’t enjoy watching boxing. I don’t know why people would want to go beat each other up for sport and entertainment.  It seems violent, unnecessary, and definitely not a Christian idea of recreation. 

But on ESPN this week, I read an article about a boxer named Manny Pacquiao, a Phillipino boxer who is training for a large fight in Las Vegas on November 5.   This is no different than the thousands of other professional boxers training for fights coming soon.  But what makes Pacquiao different is he is also a national Senator in the Philippines, spending 8 hours a day in Congress, serving his people, and training only before and after his Senate duties are finished.  He is also a devoted Christian, and he commonly professes his faith in interviews. 

When Pacquiao fought his “last fight” in April, he claimed he was retiring to focus on his political campaign, which he eventually won.  In those campaign meetings and interviews, he claimed that if he would return to boxing, he would never miss a Senate meeting.  And for the last few months of his training regiment, he has continued that commitment to his people, and ultimately, God. 

His daily schedule starts at 5am, where he runs, lifts weights, and works with his personal trainer.  He finishes around 7, takes a shower, spends time with his wife and kids, reads his Bible, and gets ready for Senate duties by 9.  He serves in the Senate from 9-5, and then returns to the gym to work with his boxing coach until 9pm.  He has continued doing this routine for the last few months, and his trainer says he “outworks ever fighter I’ve ever worked with (ESPN),” even at the age of 38.  His manager has scheduled his fight and promotion in America over the two weeks that the Senate has recess, so even for his fight, he will not miss any Senate meetings. 

When I read through this article, I was very inspired by Pacquiao, a devoted Christian who often fights with Bible verses printed on his pants, gloves, and even headband.  Here is a multi-million-dollar celebrity, who stays focused on his devotion to his country and God.  He never misses a day of Senate meetings, just like he never misses a day of his Bible reading.  He continues to focus on spending time with his family, even in the midst of his busy schedule.  His priorities are in the right place: God first, his country second, and his personal fame and fortune third. 

In 1 Timothy 3:2, the writer instructs the overseers and deacons to be “above reproach.”  To me, living beyond reproach means living a life that no one has any reason to criticize.  This idea has been a focus of mine at school this year.  I’ve tried to give my best effort, be hospitable to everyone, keep short accounts if someone wrongs me, and love everyone with the love of Christ.  I know that I have failed at this, as we all have, but seeing celebrities like Pacquiao who strive to live this life too, gives me hope.  If he has so many more responsibilities than I have, and God gives him strength, I know God will strengthen me to continue His work as well (Philippians 4:13). 

I’m still not encouraging the sport of boxing, but I am encouraging us to appreciate the examples of faithfulness that God places around us.  I pray that you will be strengthened and encouraged by Pacquiao’s testimony just as I have. 

And if you happen to be a boxing fan, please watch Pacquiao’s fight and pray that God gives Pacquiao the strength to “run in such a way as to get the prize.” 


1 Corithians 9:24-27
 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”



Luke Forshey
October 23, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment