Thursday, November 26, 2015

A Year of Thanksgivings


Tonight I was sitting on my porch, watching a massive rainstorm come in, and it was just beautiful.  Seeing the way that a sunny, hot, humid day fades to a rain shower and then becomes a peaceful, humid-less evening is one of my favorite parts about being here.  Especially tonight, I had so much to write about. 

Today is American Thanksgiving, a completely Western holiday, which isn’t celebrated here at all.  We still had school as usual, and nothing closed down for the day.  In my US History class, though, we had a Thanksgiving party, full of food, American music videos, and great fellowship.  As we went around the table of desks pushed into the center of the classroom, we each had to share one general thing we are thankful for and one thing that happened between last Thanksgiving and this Thanksgiving that we are thankful for.  It was such a blessing to hear the ways God has been at work in these students’ lives. 

After the party, I continued teaching, and the day went on as usual.  But watching the rainstorm tonight, and catching my breath after a busy day, made me realize how much has changed in my life from last year to this year.  After all of the hard times, lonely nights away from friends and family, culture shock, and transition anxiety, I am still so thankful that God has called me to this place. 

This time last year, I was struggling to finish up my last semester of college.  I had good grades, but the work was completely overwhelming.  I finished that semester, completed student teaching, and then graduated, moving on to academia as a teacher, not a student. 

This summer, I had one of the best summers of my life.  I got to visit so many new places, form new friendships over sports and wings, play music and share testimonies at countless churches, and spend some quality time with my family.  The eight weeks between graduation and leaving went so quickly, but were filled with too many blessings to name. 

In the middle of July, I went off to training for my organization in the Midwest.  Not only did I learn so much, I also met some of the most wonderful, supportive, God-honoring people I have ever met.  Their encouraging messages, Facebook posts, and testimonies continue to inspire me, even though we are worlds away from each other. 

Quickly, training was over, and I was on a plane to the South Pacific!  I knew so little of what I was getting into; I knew I would be teaching, helping with chapel services, and coaching soccer, but that was all.  I knew I would meet friendly people, but I never thought people would be this friendly.  I imagined learning the language would be tough, but I didn’t think locals would be so gracious and willing to help me struggle through learning.  I knew that I would enjoy teaching, but I never thought I would enjoy these students, these classes, and this school so much.  I felt confident about my call to come here, yet I never imagined my life would look so beautiful since I arrived.  I am truly so thankful. 

Today is a day dedicated to giving thanks.  Please make sure you thank those who are important to you – “thank yous” from my students today meant a lot.  But today isn’t the only day we have things to be thankful for; let’s make this Thanksgiving Day just the first day in a never-ending lifestyle of thankfulness for all He has given us.  

If you are reading this, you are one part of my story, my calling, and my influence here.  I cannot say thank you enough to all of the support I’ve received since I’ve arrived.  I hope you know how much you all are appreciated.  I am truly so thankful! 

Happy Thanksgiving, from “rumah saya” (my house) in the South Pacific to yours. 

Love and miss you all!  


Luke Forshey
November 26, 2015

2 comments:

  1. nicely written Luke. God is with you on this journey. Merry Christmas in advance. Guy Ruwe (matt's dad)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nicely written Luke. God is with you on this journey. Merry Christmas in advance. Guy Ruwe (matt's dad)

    ReplyDelete