Friday, June 12, 2015

Lasts, Firsts, and Nevers:



Today, June 12, marks exactly one month from my last day in Central Pennsylvania.  As many of you already know, I will be leaving on July 12 to attend a training session with One Mission Society, and then three short weeks later I will be on a plane to my new home.  What an incredible past year this has been, and I am so excited to see all of the pieces fall together for me to be teaching in a different country within the next two months. 


Obviously, I am feeling a wide range of emotions.  I’m sitting in the local public library writing this post, and even here, I have many great memories from the past 22 years.  From book sales where my sisters and I would shove as many books as possible into a box for 5 dollars, to kids summer reading activities, to finding new music through the massive CD collection, this library holds a special place in my heart.  Down the street is the local movie theater, where I have seen multiple movies and spent time with many wonderful friends.  Just a few miles down this road lies the tourist district of Hershey: the restaurants, Hershey Park, the Giant Center hockey arena, which I visited often to see the local hockey team, and Hershey’s Chocolate World, my place of employment for the last three summers.  There are many places in Hershey that I will miss, and over the next month, I will need to say goodbye to many places I hold dear to my heart. 



Over the next month, I will try to see as many people as I possibly can, to say goodbye one final time.  I have been blessed with a wonderful group of friends, a supportive and encouraging church, and a job working with people I value.  These meetings will not be easy.  As we each go our separate ways, friends moving away to find new jobs, getting married, leaving Chocolate World, or even elderly friends from church possibly passing on, I don’t know what each of these people will be doing when I return.  Will Scott and John still be in my department at Chocolate World?  Will Sam be married by then?  Will Mr. and Mrs. Eckles, the older couple at church, still be able to give me a big hug every Sunday morning one year from now?  All of these uncertainties make leaving my hometown, my country, and my world as I have known it, so much harder. 



These situations each describe a “last.”  All of these “lasts,” the last time I get to sit at the library and write, the last time I get to play tennis with Josh, the last time I go to church and get attacked by hugs from the older folks, the last time I will talk with Janelle, or Matt, or Cameron, or so many other close friends face-to-face, for at least a year, are coming soon.  It’s a humbling feeling, knowing that all I’ve known for so long will instantly become such a small part of my life for the near future. 



But just as doors will close, other doors will open, and it would inaccurately describe my feelings if I just focused on the “lasts” without the excitement of the “firsts.”  In the South Pacific, I will be teaching in my own classroom, for the first time in my life.  All of the years of practicing, listening, and studying music, along with four years of college in music education, have finally lead to this point.  I am also excited to earn my first paycheck in something other than a part-time, summer job, as proof that I’m truly an adult now.  I will be living in another country, traveling the world by myself, teaching history and Bible in addition to music, assisting with coaching soccer, and teaching the most ethnically diverse group of students I have ever and possibly will ever see.  These are all “firsts” that I am so excited about, and even though the idea of change is terrifying, I have a joy and a peace about the unfamiliar that shows that God is truly in control. 



But this article would be incomplete without talking about the “nevers” as well.  “Nevers” are much harder to see, because these things are not surface level.  It’s easy to see that I am leaving Hershey soon and easy to see that I will be teaching on my own for the first time, but it is harder to see the “nevers.”  I view “nevers” as the things that will never change even though my whole life is prepared to do a complete 180.  Things like love and support from my friends and family will never change, regardless of what country I am living in.  I know that they will always be there, and even though physically I will be further away, we’re only a skype call or email away from each other.  Support from my friend Katie, who has been such a huge part of me continuing on this journey, will never change.  Words of affirmation from my teachers and professors at Messiah College will never leave my heart.  Even though it looks like everything is changing, there is so much that is the same. 



But regardless of the support I have at home, and I am so thankful for this wonderful group of people encouraging me in this new adventure, the most important love that will never leave is God’s.  I know without a doubt that God is calling me to this journey, and only through trusting Him will I succeed in all that is being asked of me.  Even though this adventure will require my life to change drastically, I feel a peace that only comes from God.  This peace only comes from the “nevers” being stronger than the “lasts” and “firsts” combined.  I know that through every transition God is there, and he is stronger than any challenge I face, so I feel a joy and a peace I never thought I would feel at this time.  This realization, one of just many that show me God is with me, gives me hope.  I know that many things will change in the coming months.  I know that I will miss home, and I know that it will take a long time for my small classroom to feel like it’s mine.  But above all else, I know that God is good, and even though my world is about to change drastically, His love never will.  This is the greatest example of peace and love that I have ever experienced, and I am so excited to begin this journey.



I am so thankful to everyone who makes leaving the country so hard.  I am so blessed to have something that makes it so hard to say goodbye. 



I am so thankful for the wonderful experiences I will have, and I pray that I can bless the people I meet over the next year. 



But most importantly, I am thankful for having a God who promises to never leave us or forsake us, even when all things may seem lost and dark and uncertain.  This God, and the love He has shown me, is the reason why I live move and have my being.  May he be praised through the next month, and more importantly the next year. 







Luke Forshey

June 12, 2015







Joshua 1:9- “Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” 




No comments:

Post a Comment